I have never particularly been a fan of detoxing, or ‘diets’ for that matter.
The whole idea of it is just a little hard to buy. These products and plans and books make all these great claims about how a certain diet will quickly and effectively change our life forever. Or a detox will rid our bodies of all these toxins and make us so much healthier… but what scientific proof is there, really!? What studies have shown how much toxins are in the human body before and after a detox, how many toxins were actually cleaned out, how long will they stay out?
I worked for a chiropractor a few years back who ran a wellness and weight loss center along with his practice. He sold 6 – 8 week weight loss programs. These programs included drinking a detox concoction as your only form of nutrients for the first few days, then following a very low calorie meal plan sprinkled in with a couple days here and there (more if you were really over weight) of just drinking the detox concoction. On top of that, participants spent 20 -30 minutes in the sauna after a workout sweating out their toxins (I don’t know about you, but after a sweat session I am wanting an ice cold water and a pool maybe, not a hot as hell sauna!) and many were encourage to do this weird (and expensive) wrap that was supposed to rid your body of toxins by putting a cream on your skin and then wrapping your whole body in like cellophane.
Once again, no scientific proof or evidence of how or why this all actually works. Just print material and videos and websites of people ‘claiming’ they experienced such amazing results after doing these wraps or following these detox programs.
There is a company that actually puts this whole ‘weight-loss’ package together and sells it to chiropractors looking to incorporate wellness programs into their practices. This particular chiropractor I worked for bought into it, so much so I almost believed all the BS, and he charged people a fortune for these detox weight loss programs and “doctors’ advice”.
ANYWAY, the idea behind cleaning your body of toxins is a great one, the media’s twist of the truth, on the other hand, is not so great. But there is no doubt that ridding your body or staying away from toxic things such as alcohol, cigarette smoke, processed food, additives, pesticides, and cleaning chemicals is a smart thing to do!
The reasons most people give as to why they would like to detox include losing weight, healthier looking skin, more energy, sleeping better, and becoming over all healthier.
Let me share a few reasons why a run to your local farmer’s stand will solve all the above mentioned problems (and more) and is so much better than a quick fix ‘detox’.
– Local, organic foods offer benefits to our bodies that help rid them of toxins naturally: the produce is not processed and has no pesticide exposure, fruits and veges are full of nutrients and antioxidants, and the fiber in them aid in digestion and flushing our system.
– A run, or any kind of exercise, helps increase blood flow and allows for the body’s systems to function more efficiently.
– And after you run, you most likely are going to want some H2O, which aids in healthy looking skin, digestion, absorption, circulation, transportation of nutrients, and providing energy to muscles.
– A 3-day cleanse, which is generally not very nutritious and too few calories, especially if you are exercising while doing the cleanse, is not going to solve a whole lifestyle of crap! Think about your liver, which is a self-cleaning organ and processes everything that comes into the body, it takes some time to rid the body of the negative effects of alcoholism, just like it takes some time for an alcoholic’s liver to rot.
– Many times, people who do these extreme diets or cleanses thinking it will ‘jump start’ a new, healthier life find that once they slip up, they quickly return to old habits and end up putting on more weight than when they started! Also, I know when I don’t eat enough and am really hungry, I am more likely to over indulge later.
Have you ever done a detox? How did it work out for you?